Important Hong Kong Visa Information for Non–local Students

(1) FAQs on Visa-related Matters (by Admissions Office, Registry, HKU)

(2) Non-local students who wish to take up curriculum-related internship in Hong Kong during their semester break, reading week, or after their final exams should approach the General Office (in-person at 10/F Cheng Yu Tung Tower, or by email at for eligibility checking and necessary document(s) before they accept internship offers.

(3) Final year students intending to apply for a new Hong Kong student, work or IANG visa after completing their programmes should note that all applications to the Immigration Department must include appropriate proof of completion, for example, a final transcript or certificate of graduation issued by the HKU Registry. Course grades for 2nd semester are normally available each year in late June or early July; grades for June semester courses will be available only after September. The Immigration Department typically takes 8 weeks to process visa applications, and it is recommended that non–local students complete ALL of their programme requirements (including submitting a final dissertation if necessary) by the end of the 2nd semester to avoid a delay in the issue of a new visa.

(4) A student visa will expire on the date as shown on the landing slip, or four weeks after termination of studies, whichever is earlier. Non-local students who expect that their student visa will expire before the approval of their next visa in Hong Kong should apply for “Extension of Stay” directly at the Immigration Department. Click here for details and application.

Scroll to top